Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I want to soar

I've said it a million times, and, at the risk of being repetitive, I'll say it again-- I love the country. I was out there today, and its like, when I am in the country, I am physically free to run, jump, hop, walk and wander as far as my heart desires. And maybe there is a connection between that physical freedom, and my heart's freedom. I feel more free to soar and dream when I am in the country.

I look out over the rolling hills, to the coast range mountains. I see the little cars drive by, a mile or more away. I see a house or two, maybe a barn and a silo. And in that I feel like I could run forever. And I would most definitely run out of breath before I run out of land!

I think of the wild stallions and lions and gazelle. They are FREE. There isn't anything that ropes them in, they are free to wander, hunt, hide, run, and go wherever they please. They might even see more of the world than many humans ever do, because, they are not afraid of uncharted territory. They are not afraid of what tomorrow might hold. They aren't afraid of what their little animal friends might think. I mean, I guess they do run around naked, so not a lot phases them. They think only about the present. And they travel in packs.

I can't help but think that that should be us-- what is holding us back from dreaming? Is it the fear of tomorrow? Is it the fear of what other people think? Is it finances? Is it fear of the unknown?? Those are all very real fears. I understand that, I have lived all of those. And yet, in the moments when I've been gripped by those fears, those were the times when I didn't dream. Those were the times when my heart didn't soar. The unknown was too scary and I became self pitying. I am convinced, no one wants to live like that.

I don't have a secret formula, or a step by step guide on dreaming. If I did, I would share it, but unfortunately, the guide was lost in translation. Truth be told, I don't know what the future holds for you or for me, but, cheesy as it sounds, I do know the one that holds my future. He is the one that planted dreams inside this heart before I even realized them. They were His dreams before they were mine. And that is a beautiful thought. And through him I am FREE. I am free to dream, soar, and love. He is freedom and peace. I can't think of much else that is more exciting than that.

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
John 8:36

No comments: