Saturday, May 15, 2010

A great Book...

Recently, I've been trying to do more reading. I generally like reading, but sometimes it gets squeezed out because of other commitments. But summer is in four weeks! Then I'll have lots of time. Anyhow, I got the book 'Blue Like Jazz' the other day, and have been reading a little bit every day. It is incredible. And it's not like a normal 'devotional.' This author is very real and honest. It is like talking to him in person, kind of. Needless to say, I highly recommend it. I've read a few things in it that really stick out as well.

One of these quotes seemed especially insightful:
"I believe that the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time."

That hit the nail on the head. It's something that I have been pondering ever since I read it. Another thing that he points out in the same chapter is the fact that he spends 95% of his time thinking about himself. And that many problems can't be fixed until we realize we are the problem, and we need to change ourselves. It sounds harsh, but it is an important concept. Sometimes people go around trying so hard to change others and they don't realize that they have flaws that need to be worked on first. We do not change people. They must want to change on their own.

I will continue reading this book, and highly recommend it!

No comments: