Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What do I know?

I was recently having some time with a good friend when she introduced me to the song “What do I know of Holy?” By Addison Road. This is no doubt one of the most touching and relevant songs I have heard. It spoke right to my heart.

It begins like this: 'I try to hear from heaven, but I talk the whole time, I think I made you too small...'

These words are so true in my life. It is so hard to hear God when I am talking constantly. I need to learn to rest in Him and be silent. I don't like silence. It feels kind of awkward to me, but it shouldn't. Those times when I am quiet for long enough for God to show me something, are amazing, but they don't happen often enough.

The song continues, "Are you fire, are you fury? Are you sacred, are you beautiful?"

Oh to know God! To see his face, how beautiful would that be?! I realize more and more just how little I know of God. He is so above my understanding and comprehension, but even the smallest glimpse of him can humble me so much. I know that he is big beyond anything I can begin to comprehend. But those times that I see him intervene, that I see him work, I get just a tiny, tiny glimpse of that greatness.

It reminds me of space. We cannot comprehend just how big, and beautiful and never ending space is. But we know its true. We have telescopes that help us see vast distances, but out human brains have a hard time comprehending something that large. So it is with God.

I love how Kate Gosselin puts it in her book, "Multiple Blessings,"

" 'Mommy, can you fill up my cuppy?' I must hear that request a hundred times a day as a little outstretched arm holds up a brightly colored sippy cup. It makes me wonder if that is how God sees me sometimes, like a needy child constantly asking Him to please fill up my cup. "

Beautifully said.

No comments: