Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I'm just me

There comes a point in everyone's life where they have to become happy with who they are. They have to realize that they were not meant to be anybody else. I am at that point. There are so many great people in my life, so many fun, spontaneous, happy, spiritual, easy going, caring people that I know. And I so long to be like them. And yet I look at me, at who I am, my personality, and I am not them. I have some of the same characteristics, but I am far from being like them.

It's such a battle, really. Knowing that there are people that you want to be like, but also knowing that you were meant to be you. If everyone were alike, this world would be so boring. Variety really is the spice of life. And that is not an excuse to be unkind, or uncaring, but we each have our own character quirks. And that is a good thing.

I'm sure most people can think back and remember their childhood enthusiasm of who or what they were going to be when they 'grew up.' I wonder how many people achieved those innocent, passionate dreams. I have always loved singing and writing. I do both often, however I am far from spectacular at either one. It is so easy to look at others I know who are absolutely incredible singers, or phenomenal writers, and to wish I had a little bit of that talent. And if I spend too much time thinking about it, I become very discontent.

But there is something beautiful in being who you are. I was thinking the other day that if everybody's life stories looked the same, if everybody had the same personality, or dreams or priorities, that would be an incredibly boring world. The older I get the more I become alright with who I am, and the more I realize that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. As we all are. I am glad to know that. It's easy to get caught up in the wishing that we were someone else.

But simplicity is a beautiful thing.
Its like a childlike faith.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I like YOU! (:

Hannah said...

Thank you, Danielle! I like you too!