Thursday, July 15, 2010

Can't get enough...

I love to read. I do it everyday, as often as I can. Mostly I read 'devotionals' of sorts, but I love many kinds of literature. I am kind of a nerd and also enjoy biographies. I love literature that gets me thinking and challenges me in some way. I like things that are inspirational and funny, deep and witty. 

I have become a little obsessed with books written by Donald Miller lately. I can't put them down. He writes with a passion and honesty that is not often seen among Christian authors. But he doesn't beat around the bush, or use the cliche language that is so prevalent in Christian literature today. I like that he is different. The way that he says things just resonates with me. I get it, and a little light bulb goes on, the wheels start to turn, and by the end of the chapter I am in awe at the new way of thinking about whatever it is he may be saying.

Honestly, I have read A LOT of devotionals, daily reflections etc. about the Christian life, but none have stuck out to me quite so much as Donald Miller books. Maybe it is because I feel like I can relate to him. Its hard to explain. But I love the truths presented in his books. 

 'Searching for God Knows what' is the current one that I am reading. It is about how many people view God and how that view is often skewed. The previous one that I read was 'Blue Like Jazz,' also an excellent book. It was basically his thoughts on Christian Spirituality. Anyhow, I have gone on long enough. You get the picture. Check out one of these books, they're incredible!

Disclaimer:
** I am by no means saying that we should stop reading the Bible and start reading Don Miller books. The Bible is the absolute inspired, irreplaceable word of God. I truly believe that. But I also believe that God speaks through people, and sometimes the way that they say things just makes sense, and we see things through it in a new way. That is what I am trying to convey. But I am not saying that it is a replacement for God's Holy word.

I will leave you with a quote from 'Blue Like Jazz': 

"I am learning to believe better things. I am learning to believe that other people exist, that fashion is not truth; rather, Jesus is the most important figure in history, and the gospel is the most powerful force in the universe. I am learning not to be passionate about empty things, but to cultivate passion for Justice, grace, truth and communicate the idea that Jesus likes  people and even loves them."

No comments: