Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Community.

Community.

Its a word that is often thrown around, but perhaps, not often understood. Its a nice catch phrase. Its a nice thing we like to talk about every now and again. But I think that its importance and significance in our lives is much larger than we sometimes realize.

I am speaking to myself here. I notice a massive difference in my countenance and even my self-esteem when I am a part of community versus when I am kind of doing life on my own. We were created for community, so it makes sense. We were never meant to do this life on our own-- we're together creatures. We're social creatures. Even introverts-- we're all meant to be a part of the larger world around us, and that is a really beautiful thing.

I think of the account in the book of Genesis, when God made Adam. He said that Adam was good, but we see-- "The Lord God said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him'" (Genesis 2:18). And then He made Eve, from one of Adam's ribs. This is such a beautiful picture of the unity and togetherness that our Father values, and that we should value as well.

There are countless references to the body of Christ in the New Testament. I am convinced that we were never meant to do life alone. When I am alone too long I usually create a problem in my head that was never there. And I become more anxious. And I become more irritable. We need each other-- to encourage, pray, speak truth, laugh, cry, talk with. We just need community. And I don't mean someone that you can make small talk with. I mean true, raw, real, open community-- people that you can be genuinely yourself around. That is the kind of community that our hearts desire.

Today I had some community time, and it did my heart really well. I had some deep and genuine conversations. I laughed and reminisced. And my heart was at peace, knowing that God had placed those special people in my life at this moment-- this time of transition and vulnerability and at a time when I feel particularly fragile. I sensed God there and I rested.

All of this is meant to say-- find community. Go to church. Find friends who share similar interests. Go to community group. Find a community of people that will encourage you and lift you up and draw you closer to Him. We were meant for community. Lets live together, and love others together, and share His love together.