Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Road Ahead

I am a shameless blog reader and promoter. I know, its kind of laughed at in my generation to be an aid blogger, but I love it.

There have been countless times when I have read a blog, or looked at an article that spurred thoughts that I hadn't ever considered. Being a blogger has widened my community, it is caused me to consider hot button issues from different angles and it has actually helped to spur conversation as well. I consider those in the blogger community as part of my larger community, even though some of them are only online acquaintances. I get to hear the thoughts of others that I may never meet in person, but who have a whole lot more wisdom than I on life. That is a pretty cool thing. So there--not ashamed.

Recently, a blogger was writing about each person being allowed 'their process' in doing things. In arriving at conclusions and in doing life. I loved it. And it was timely and pertinent. She states it much better than I could, so here is the link. Read it (Seriously, do it. So much good stuff)-- http://www.theveryworstmissionary.com/2014/04/you-are-allowed-your-process.html .

And this blog post spurred a lot of thoughts within me. Perhaps the journey, the process is WAAAYYY more important than we give it credit for. We're always rushing around, busy as could be and we just want to arrive.

Ever been on a road trip with kids? They will ask you every 5 minutes if "we're there yet" to the point of insanity. No one has to be taught to value the destination, it is natural. But we must be taught to value the process. Few people I know enjoy process. Because process is painful, messy, vulnerable, ugly and just all in all, hard.

But life is lived in process. We don't ever arrive, at least, not on this side of heaven, and if we try so hard to 'arrive' (whatever that means to each individual) we're going to come up disappointed every time. I don't think the process scares God, but it often scares us.

Part of my process over the last 3 years has been walking through a time of uncertainty in my faith. I did not doubt the existence of God, but I stopped feeling 'close' to Him, seemingly overnight. And that terrified me. I didn't know what to do when my emotions didn't line up with what I knew to be true. And I went through a long, painful, arduous, messy process of learning that love is a choice, not a feeling. And sometimes that choice must be made even with a loving and perfect Heavenly Father.

In the middle of my process I cried and became anxious and I worried that my faith would slip away, because I couldn't feel the presence of God as I always had before. And I would cry out to God and beg Him to not let my faith falter. And I am convinced that during that time His loving hands held me, and that He pressed me close to Himself, and gently spoke truth into my heart. And I am convinced that He was not scared. Not even a tiny bit. Because He knew that it really would be all right. That I needed my process of becoming solidified in Him. I needed to go through a time of uncertainty and doubt to come out having found truth on the other end. 

Nearly everyone that I've talked to has gone through a time of doubt regarding their faith at some point or another. Its very normal. And this time in life-- early 20's proves to be a time of growth and maturity and solidification. And sometimes that comes with confusion and with many bumps and valleys along the way. 

What I am saying is this-- the process is all right. The process doesn't need to scare us. Its a part of what makes our stories beautiful and firm. Its a part of us learning truth and of maturing as adults. Please don't wish the journey away-- it is vital to our health and well being. Wrestle with the tough questions, but don't do it alone. Talk to others who have more wisdom and seek truth fervently.

 The journey makes us who we are.

via: studiohelper

No comments: