Tuesday, July 8, 2014

When You're in the Cave...

I came to a realization today as I was working through some tough news that I received about some family members.

I do not understand God or the way that He works. But I trust Him. 

Its been one of those seasons where it feels like my family is walking through a dark cave, trying to feel our way around without any light source. And we keep hitting walls. We run into holes in the ground. We grow fatigued and weary. It feels scary and overwhelming at times. But there is an odd, uncanny peace. A peace that transcends even the toughest, most unexpected circumstances. Its as though we know, we will make it out of the cave. We don't know when, and we don't know how, but by golly, we will make it out.

And its more than just wishful thinking, its rooted in truth. In a knowledge of who our Father is, and what His character is. 

I realize it sounds glib to say 'it will be okay.' It doesn't make the pain or the hardship any less real, but it is a reminder that heaven is our home, and there, tears, sorrow and grief will be nonexistent. There there will be rejoicing, praising, worshiping and only healthy relationships.

But, no, its not okay. It hasn't been okay for a while. Sickness. Broken relationships. Uncertainties. Lack of communication. Loneliness. They are very real. For my family and for countless others. And its alright to admit the hardship. Its alright to grieve. Its alright to cry. God is pleased with our honesty and authenticity before Him (not convinced? Read any of the Psalms).

So I sit here, both saddened and rejoicing. Saddened for the tough season we're all walking through. Saddened for the hurt happening around me. But rejoicing that there can be and is peace in the midst of suffering. Rejoicing that my God goes before His children, even when they're walking through the cave.
source: weekendnotes.com

No comments: