Friday, February 7, 2014

Snow Control... or is it Snow Patrol...??

The Northwest is experiencing a massive snowstorm... at least, massive for us. We've got close to a foot of snow and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. The forecast says that its supposed to snow over the rest of the weekend. Its been snowing steadily for about a day and a half and its starting to pile up.

Here is a glimpse of our 2014 snow storm:


 


We have these snow storms every few years. The last one in Oregon was in 2008, we got about 16 inches of snow:
It seems like people either love or hate the snow. The Californian's here at school tend to be on the latter end-- they're not huge fans of the white, powdery substance that falls from the sky. And yet, here it is.

Unavoidable.

Uncontrollable.

I've been thinking over the past two days about the implications of snow. I can make anything philisophical, guys. But really, I feel like snow is a tangible reminder of the fact that we are in control of so little in our lives. Sometimes we like to pretend like we're in control, but the truth is, I cannot make the snow start or stop any more than I could control a wild tiger. It comes as God ordains, and no amount of disdain or delight can control when it comes, in what capacity and where it falls.

I control so little.

That is a humbling thought.

I do not control the sun, and yet it rises faithfully each morning. I do not control the trees, and yet they grow, strong and tall. I do not control when the snow starts and stops. I am not in control. This truth has become evident in my life over the past couple of years, as virtually nothing has gone the way that I expected.

Who envisions cancer?

Who thinks that they're going to take two years off of college to travel and do missions?

Who imagines making the most unlikely friendships?

Not anyone I know. And yet, they're reality. And through the surprise blessings and the unplanned hardships, I remember that little me controls so little. And I am humbled. And in that, I look not to myself, but to my Creator-- I look to the author and perfecter of my faith, realizing that He is in control. He is not in heaven wringing his hands and covering His eyes, horrified by events that are unexpected through human eyes.

He remains faithful. His character is constant, and He is in control. That doesn't make the hard times easier, but it does bring hope, knowing that we are not alone. We are not forgotten. We can rest knowing that our Father is more than able. 

So today I am humbled, in awe and I am reminded that sometimes the unexpected comes with blessings. And the bumps in the road which are uncontrollable aren't scary to Him. There is peace in His presence.

But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:30-34


No comments: