Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

"Its the most wonderful time of the year!" and "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas..." are among the many festive lyrics heard between Thanksgiving and Christmas day every year. I enjoy Christmas-- the lights and the jolly spirit of many. I love the decorations and picking out the perfect gift for all those on my list. Presents were always my favorite as a child-- of course.

And while I enjoy these things, and I don't think they're wrong or bad, God has been reminding me where the focus should be. Its about Jesus coming, in human form, humbly and as a baby, to save the world. As I've thought about the birth of Jesus this year, its been impossible for me NOT to think of his entire life. His coming as a baby was significant, because it was the means that God used to forgive his people of their sins, so they could live with him in eternity.

So often we think about the birth of Jesus at this time, and that is what Christmas is about, but I think its so important to remember what his birth meant, and what it led to. It led to human beings being able to approach the throne of grace with confidence, knowing that their sins were forgiven and their debt was paid. He came into the world to save sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). Jesus entire life is what mattered. And his entire life was lived as a sacrifice and as a servant-- even though he was God himself, the King incarnate! That is what Christmas is about.

Enjoy the festivities, but don't let them become the focus. Jesus really is the greatest gift ever given, and through that gift, we can LIVE.

He is the LIGHT of the world. I love the significance of Christmas lights-- they're fun and all, but they're also a great symbolism of Jesus coming, as the light that the world so desperately needed.

And, this is what Christmas is about, in a nutshell--
Merry Christmas, All!

No comments: